The one simple secret for earning top freelance pay
You can do all sorts of creative promotions and aggressive marketing to increase your value to clients.
But in the end, it’s what you deliver with your freelance services that will make or break your business.
Quality work is the best marketing there is.
Many freelancers or those considering freelancing sometimes want the quick and easy way to achieve the high pay they’ve heard is possible.
But the fact is, there is no shortcut. You have to be good at what you do. Clients must value the service you are selling to them.
Even marketing that is pure genius won’t take you from earning $50 an hour to earning $250 an hour. Marketing opens doors. After that, you have to come through with great work to earn top freelance pay.
With experience, you will come to know the standards in your chosen specialty. But from your first project, and on every project, large or small, you must strive to deliver the best work you are capable of within the time available.
Clients don’t expect brilliance, but they do expect quality.
How can you be sure you are delivering top-notch work? Here are a few things you should be doing all the time:
- Stay up-to-date in your field of expertise by reading the top journals and magazines.
- Study the work of others in your line of work and learn from it.
- Adhere to your field’s code of ethics and be sure that your clients do too. The DMA’s Guidelines for Ethical Business Practice is just one set of ethics you may want to follow.
- Charge what a project is worth to give yourself the motivation to do quality work.
- Insist on reasonable deadlines and turn down rush jobs that will encourage hack-level performance.
- Ask questions, read books, attend seminars, and keep learning.
- Be a leader in your field, because there’s no better way to create a professional mindset.
- Guard your reputation and never do anything that would tarnish it.
- Keep your various skill sets fresh with classes, certification, or whatever your specialty demands.
- Get to know fellow professionals to give yourself a point of reference for what is expected of you.
- Enjoy your work and always strive to improve each day.
There’s a lot more to achieving high pay and respect as a freelance pro, but doing high-level work on a regular basis is always the place to start.
And it’s the ideal way to increase your pay even if you’re already making good income.
What do you do to make yourself valuable to clients?
- Become a freelance god in 7 (sort of) simple steps
- How to write a crowd-pleasing speech in 3 simple steps
- 5 simple ways to become a confident copywriter