Quiz: Are you a creative genius?
Are you creative or not?
Okay, that’s a trick question. If you fell for it, you’ve bought into the myth that you either have creativity or you don’t, as if it’s all or nothing. You’re either a creative genius or you’re a dolt.
The fact is, you are creative. Everyone is creative to some degree. The only question is how creative are you? It’s a sliding scale from a little to a lot.
After all, creativity isn’t something you’re born with. It’s not what you are as much as what you do. It’s a learned behavior and therefore can be controlled and improved.
Think of creativity like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. To increase your creativity, you simply need to act in creative ways and do what other creative people do. Not surprisingly, people recognized as creative tend to share common traits.
So are you a creative genius? Let’s find out.
Do you …
- HAVE THE COURAGE to try new things and risk failure now and then? Every big breakthrough starts as a harebrained idea.
- USE INTUITION as well as logic to make decisions and produce ideas? You can’t always rely on logic. You have to listen to your gut, too. It follows its own logic.
- LIKE TO PLAY, laugh, and have fun? In many ways, these are the ultimate creative acts.
- SHARE YOUR FEELINGS and express your thoughts? People who are in touch with themselves tend to be in touch with others.
- FIND ORDER IN CHAOS and look for hidden meaning? Creative people see patterns in what to others appears to be irrelevant information.
- GET MOTIVATED BY A TASK rather than by external rewards? If you’re just in it for the money, you’re not going to be a fountain of new ideas.
- FIND SOLUTIONS to challenging problems? If you always have a ready answer, you’ve stopped thinking and creating.
- CHALLENGE ASSUMPTIONS and ask hard questions? Creative people are persistent skeptics, taking what others believe with a grain of salt.
- MAKE CONNECTIONS between old ideas to produce new insights? Sometimes the best solutions are simply two old ideas jammed together.
- PUSH THE ENVELOPE in order to expand the boundaries of what is possible? Instead of dividing the world into the possible and impossible, it’s better to merely divide it into the tried and the untried.
- TEST NEW IDEAS and enjoy competing with others? Creative people don’t mind losing, but they love winning and proving themselves.
These are not the only traits creative people share. But they’re some of the most important.
How many did you answer “yes” to? If you think none describe you, you’re probably being too hard on yourself. If you said yes to a few, start working on adopting the others to increase your creativity. If all these traits describe you, stop reading this immediately and get back to changing the world. You’re a creative genius of the first order!
Just remember, creativity isn’t who you are. It’s what you do. You can be more creative simply by acting more creative. Go to it.
- Which of these bad habits blocks your creative genius?
- How “productive slacking” can make you more creative
- 10 easy ways to instantly energize your creative powers